Good Neighbor Guidelines
Be a Good Neighbor
Being part of UCR means being part of the community. Students in residential neighborhoods should take special care to follow ordinances connected to:
- Parties & Events
Neighbor complaints can lead to citations, fines, arrests, and/or UCR sanctions. Avoid complaints by following the Good Neighbor Guidelines.
Good Neighbor Guidelines
- Observe quiet hours (after 10 p.m. every day). Noise should be inaudible from 50 feet during the day, and 25 feet after 10 p.m.
- Keep music, TV and conversations low.
- Follow the Riverside Noise Ordinance.
- Use amplified sound only in accordance with the Riverside Noise Ordinance.
- Avoid using exterior amplified sound.
- Negotiate with neighbors regarding hours for outdoor athletic activities such as basketball games, etc.
- In writing, notify neighbors (within 300 feet and any others requesting notification) of any event at least three days in advance. Include the event size, type, and hours, plus a phone number of a contact that will be there.
- Consider hosting large events at more appropriate off-campus venues.
- Consider hiring private security for large functions where alcohol is served.
- Set reasonable limits on the total number of large events per quarter/year.
- See other guidelines regarding trash, parking, guests, etc.
Upkeep and Beautification
- Keep your house and yard clean and presentable.
- Dispose of trash regularly.
- Mow your lawn and landscape regularly.
- Clean up any event trash within 24 hours.
- Maintain your property in accordance with all fire, health, zoning, building and safety codes, and the City of Riverside's Landscape Maintenance Ordinance.
Traffic and Parking
- Follow Riverside and California laws (and hold guests to the same standards).
- Make provisions for guest parking.
- Don’t park in or block neighbors' driveways, public alleys, or sidewalks.
- Don’t park on lawns or other unsurfaced areas.
- Tell guests about neighborhood parking restrictions.
- Tell guests to arrive and leave quietly.
- Drive slowly, safely, and sober.
Drugs & Alcohol
- Follow Riverside and California alcohol and drug laws.
- Don’t allow illegal drugs.
- Limit alcohol consumption and encourage moderation.
- Student organization officers should especially set a good example.
- Encourage events where only nonalcoholic beverages are served.
- If you serve alcohol, provide water, nonalcoholic options, and food.
- Provide sober monitors at all functions where alcohol is served.
- Educate all student organization members regarding national risk management and insurance policies, and hold members responsible where applicable.
- Consider sponsoring alcohol and drug education programs.
- Never drink and drive.
- Don’t trespass on or damage your neighbor’s property.
- Take steps to prevent your guests from trespassing on or damaging your neighbors' property.
- Take responsibility for any damage caused by your household or guests.
- Get to know your neighbors. Introduce yourself.
- Host a meeting with your neighbors before each fall quarter, especially with those within 300 feet of your house.
- Provide neighbors with current phone numbers for house contacts/student organization leaders/alumni advisors, etc.
- If you call neighbors, do so before 9 p.m.
- Address concerns and disagreements in a mature and civil manner.
- Be friendly and respectful.
- Follow all Riverside and California laws and ordinances.
- Respect your neighbors’ rights.
UCR sanctions are case-by-case and may include:
- Educational activities related to Good Neighbor Guidelines
- Community service
- Payment for damages
- Suspension of privileges, suspension, and/or dismissal from UCR.
City of Riverside sanctions are case-by-case and may include:
- Non-binding mediation
- Citations and/or arrest for law violations
- Civil suits (may result in fines or other judgments)
- Criminal charges (may include fines, jail time, or both)
Report a violation of the Good Neighbor Guidelines.
Access In It Together Community Partnership: A Good Neighbor Guide for Students and Permanent Residents in Riverside for a summary of the Good Neighbor Guidelines.
Check out these resources from The Well for help with everything from party control tips to free taxi options.
Visit the Dean of Students for more Good Neighbor information.
See the Riverside Municipal Code for all official laws and ordinances.